Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Following my heart...

Just an update on my training. I have been reading about heart rate training for a few months and have decided to just go for it! It is a little weird to me because I am used to wanting to run faster and faster, and now I am told I need to slow down in order to get faster. The premise is that if you keep your heart rate in a certain zone you will over time be able to run faster in that zone. I remembered that the YMCA has heart rate monitor chest straps that link up to the machines, so I decided it would be a good day to try it. Especially because I haven't been feeling so well. My goal was to keep my heart rate under 158. I stayed at around 160 for 3 miles and my time was 29:07, a 9:40 pace, much slower than normal, but it felt great. I am willing to try this if it will help build a strong aerobic base. I will keep all of my eager fans updated of my progress!

1 comment:

Suzie Petunia said...

I am dying to get back into a regular routine!I'm so sick of being... SICK! I was feeling so much better yesterday and today, but Waverly was home both days and she's just too old for child watch. Are we meeting at the hill tomorrow? I'll plan on being there at 6:30. If you're not there, that's ok. I forgot to call to make sure. Now it is too late (11:00 PM to call). I'll just run a few miles if you don't make it.