Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Pilates

Here it is...what I promised a long time ago. A pilates workout. I'm a little embarrassed about all the pictures but I didn't know how else to "talk" you through the workout! I also have to preface this by saying that I am horrible at posting pictures next to the words that I want them by- so hopefully this will all work out (pun not intended) how I see it in my mind- probably not.

As I was certified in pilates they really emphasized correct form- like a well oiled machine runs more efficiently so do our bodies if we "do it right." I think that this correlates directly with running. So here are some of the exercises I try to do every day.

Leg circles with the band: really stretches and works the hamstrings as well as loosens up the hip rotators....


FOAM ROLLERS- IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE GET ONE!!! This is just one simple exercise I do on here- Breast stroke* great for upper back strength and streching out the chest muscles* we tend to hunch when we get tired this helps open it all back up- but I teach an entire hour long class with just the foam roller and people beg to come back- foam rollers are amazing!




The 100- pump your arms- on most pilates videos



Obliques roll back with weighted balls- we have 3 sets of abs---this works your obliques- or "side" abs--The 100 (and most of the others) work your transverse abs, or lower abs, that run horizontally across your your pelvis- key to a strong core- really a six pack (strong rectus abs) mean nothing if your transverse is weak- you won't get a six pack doing pilates but you will have a strong core!





Plank with bent knees- ball in between knees to make sure your using your whole leg!(inner thigh connection- blah blah:) hold for 1- 2 minutes- exhale and pull abs up and in towards spine!




Roll-up with stretch- feet flexed hard abs in* you shouldn't be able to reach as far as you normally do if you're doing it right- don't collapse over your legs keep your abs tight!- concentrate on pushing out through heels- stach up tall and lead with your tail bone to roll back down. ***do 10***make sure you don't use any momentum from your legs to get you up--all from your strong core:)




The teaser! The Pilates meca- I tell my clients it's just the roll-up but your legs are in the air! It's great for core strength. Start with your legs up on a chair or something until you're strong enough to do it without.




MY FAVORITE!! THE ROLL OVER!!! Stretches those hamstrings like you wouldn't believe! Works out the spine. DON'T USE MOMENTUM TO GET YOU OVER! Neck and shoulders completely relaxed...so if your clenching as your trying to get your legs over start with the reverse crunch- just lifting your tail bone as I off the ground without using anything but your abs. Open your legs hip width apart and flex your feet on the way back down- that's when you'll feel the stretch!



So there you have it. I wish I could explain more and give more instruction- this was the best I could come up with. Sorry to take up so much space. Hopefully this will be fun for you guys and give you some new ideas. Email me with questions!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! I am not sure how great I will be at any of these, but I can't wait to try them out. THANK YOU! And I for one think you have nothing to be embarrassed about- you look awesome!

Roxanne said...

I am totally going to need these moves once I have this baby. My core is going to be complete mush...thanks so much!

Anniebananie said...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I will let you know how it is going in a couple weeks!

Suzie Petunia said...

AWE-SOME!! Thank you so much! Your pictures and instructions are great. Its time for me to get rid of my flabby-abbies! I'm definitely using this!

amydear said...

Hey, I did some pilates today and it felt so good. I don't have all of your gear, though, so I improvised. Can pilates make your stretched-out stomach skin go away? I wish!

JP said...

oh, I want your abs. Apparently I have a lovely step by step guide right here on how to get them. :)

This is super!!

Polliwog said...

Okay, I can't wait to NOT be hugely pregnant so I can try these out! One amateurish question: where can you purchase the gear. I have a mat, but the balls and foam thing? I need to start stocking up. ;)

Thank you, thank you for all the time you must have spent getting that out for us. You're a good woman.

Annie said...

Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable tips. I'll incorporate them starting today.

Annie said...

Yes, I too would like to know where you recommend we get the balls and foam roll.