Saturday, June 24, 2006

Running a Marathon messes up your mind...

If you know me very well, you already know this is true! But today, I realized, with Suzie's help, that running marathons has made me see things from a very skewed view. After you are regularly running at least 15 miles every Saturday, the 3 and 5 mile runs make you feel you aren't accomplishing much. Even the 9 mile runs seem short. What is wrong with me?! I am ready to just be grateful that I am out there running. Any time on the road is time that I am out of my bed, working hard to be healthy. Today was a great 9 mile run, but my body just felt achy and tired. It is time to listen to my body and get back to running for "fun" and for "health." So, I really do mean it when I say I am done with marathons until next year. You can hold me to it now. I was so afraid of losing my ability to run long distances that I have overworked my body. I would rather run "medium" distances and enjoy them and remember I can always work back up to the long runs. Suzie, thanks for giving me the perspective I needed today and thanks for being out there with me on a beautiful Saturday morning.

1 comment:

Suzie Petunia said...

Do you really mean it? OK, I believe you. That chat hit home to me, too. I was talking to zook about it later and I realized how stupid it sounded to say 5 or 6 miles didn't feel like a long run. 5 or 6 miles is LONG! You're right - it is good to keep things in perspective. I am proud to be able to run even 2 miles at a time!

That was a gorgeous run. Perfect weather! I've decided I actually enjoy Roy Rogers when it isn't cold and rainy. Bring it on!... I mean, you know,... the next time we go for a "long run". :)