Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Falling short

I only ran 16 last week, and missed my goal by 4 miles. I had a cold, which made breathing hard, but still. Even worse, I haven't run once this week. It's running crash and burn time, just as I feared. And though I saw it coming, I have not been able to pull myself out of the tailspin. Last week it was pure torture every 16 miles. I just hated it. So, any advice on what you do when you reach this point? I need to run outside. I need to run with friends. I need to get out of this miserable running funk. My current life circumstances are making anything other than running on a treadmill pretty tough. Oh, how I hate to lose all the fitness I've worked for, though. Help!

4 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hi Emily,

We have all been in this boat, especially after a big event like a marathon. I am there myself. Somehow we need to motivate each other. Is there a Thanksgiving race you can train for? Maybe do a little speedwork on the treadmill to mix it up? Don't get too down on yourself. You are doing great! Not much you can do when you have a cold.

Ang said...

I am still having this problem and my race was Sept. 3rd, and it was only a half. I did just buy myself a new pair of shoes and am going to get the new watch. I'm hoping that will get me going. I think that M&M is right about signing up for another race. At least for me, that is key, if I know I have a race coming up. I've been searching for one here in Washington to get me motivated. You can do it. Don't be too hard on yourself!!

Polliwog said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have all but given up on this week, will chalk it up to "mental recovery" and start fresh on Monday. I have registered for a 5K Turkey Trot, so that *might* help me get it together. Good luck to everybody in the same boat. It does make me feel better to know I'm not alone in it. :)

cherl said...

Oh Polliwog, you are definitely not alone. I've been in a running funk for quite some time now. My main problem has been finding the time to run. With the holidays quickly approaching, I have a feeling I won't find my groove until after the first of the year. Ugh.