Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Runner Geek in da house!

April sounds far away, but it is closer than you think! So, being the numbers geek that I am, I had to start planning my schedule. (I also needed a distraction) One of the reasons I run is that it is so numeric. I love knowing exactly how far I need to run each day. So, here is the situation. Including this week (starting yesterday) we have 23 weeks to train for Salt Lake. Most programs are 18 weeks long, but you need to be at a certain level before you start. So, it is time to get going! I love Ang's idea of the half marathon January 12th. So, I found a training program on Runners World where you can customize your schedule. Try it, it's fun! We have 9 training weeks until then and we will then be up to 13 miles.

From there, I will be trying to work up to 15 miles. The schedule I will be following to train for the marathon is an intense 12 week that has worked for many of our Boston-qualifying speedster friends. But the first long run is 15 miles and a total of 43 miles for the week. So, before I start that schedule on January 28th, I want to comfortably be running 30-40 miles a week-wow!! I better get going. I don't have a link to that schedule so if you are interested in it, I can email it to you, just let me know.

If this is your first marathon, I recommend going to halhigdon.com and picking one of his training plans or coolrunning.com. They have training plans for all of the distances.

Whew! I hope I didn't scare you all off. I can't wait to hear what everyone's plans are. This will be so great to train together!

JP- Where are you located? I have a friend in Santa Rosa who is training to run Newport Marathon in June, her first.

Take care everyone. I couldn't post this until I actually went for a run. I had a good run at the beach, my fave place.

3 comments:

Ang said...

I am scared!

I was actually just thinking that someone needed to post something on how to get ready for a marathon! I looked online and found some plans but have no idea if they are any good. Could you email me that 12 week plan? (Eventhough 35-40 miles a week makes my stomach turn and wonder if I can really do this.) Thanks for the web sites!

Team Hanni said...

Email me, PLEASE!!!! I need all the help I can get. This is so exciting!

Kristy's journal about her marathon got me thinking about eating during a run too. I've only had goo and water. Does everyone eat when you are going 13+ miles?

Any full marathon advice to us first timers is SOOOOO needed and so appreciated!

Suzie Petunia said...

I think it would be great if as many of us as possible were on the same training schedule. Knowing that each of you were getting your butts out of bed to do the same workout I would be doing would be incredible motivation! And we could compare notes. Fun! The 12 week schedule is pretty intense and I wouldn't recommend it if this is your first marathon. So maybe we should have 2 schedules as options for everyone.

ALSO... if you are a contributor and have not emailed me your bio, please do so. You can see some examples at the top right of the blog.

ONE MORE THING... I want to make a link on the sidebar to a post that has everyone's marathon tips. A lot of people who visit our site ask for tips and it would be nice to direct them to a comprehensive list of everyone's advice.

Email your bios and marathon tips to me at suziepetunia at gmail dot com. Thanks all you crazy runners!