Saturday, May 17, 2008

This Race Stunk!

I was trying to qualify for the USAT National race in September held at our very own Hagg Lake here in Oregon. In order to qualify you have to take first place in a qualifying race. The WSU duathlon just happens to be a one of these races. It was a small race in its first year. The distances were 5k, 15 mile bike, and finish with another 5k. I was able to get a list of the racers. There were 2 people in my age group, myself and another racer. I googled her name. I was up against a woman who runs a 19 minute 5k. I was doomed from the start. So I started thinking my only hope was if she gets lost of blows a tire. No such luck.

The race started at 9 am. It has been hot since 7 this morning. It was probably 80 degrees at the start. We started the 5k down a hill. We came up the other side and wound around the campus. It was so hard. I knew it was going to be a tough course when we pulled into WSU and saw that the whole campus was on a hill. It was up and down the whole 3 miles with the worst hills the last 2 miles. There were stairs to climb, bridges to cross and some muddy paths. I managed to do the first 5k in 23:18. These times are based on my garmin not the official results that aren't posted yet. I got on the bike with my heart racing at just under my max. probably. The bike course had many turns in it which you have to slow down for. There were many intersections that were not manned and you had to stop for traffic. There was one light that we were turning right at where a gravel truck was taking the whole road. I couldn't get by him on the right. So I went around him on the left. The course was also just as hilly as the run. Hills, hills and more hills. I finished the bike in around 59 minutes. I was off onto the 2nd 5k which was the same course as the first. It was so hot!!!!! I was running and realized that I had forgotten to take off my bike helmet. So I dumped it on the course. When I got to the hills I just couldn't do them. I allowed myself to run to a certain point and then walk up the worst part of the hill. I finished the 2nd 5k in 25:16.

My total time was 1:49:something. Took 2nd in my age group out of two. Didn't qualify. The other girl smoked me on everything. She did it in 1:40:something. It was not a fun race. But I still am glad I did it.

8 comments:

Anniebananie said...

As far as I am concerned, you did great! Sorry it didn't go better for you though. Maybe next year is your year! I still think you deserve a pat on the back and a good job! If I was there you would have smoked me! Hope the wind is in your sails on the next race!

amydear said...

Wow. If I got a 25:19 5K time I'd be pretty thrilled, so good for you. This does not sound like fun, however, and I'm sorry it was so hot for you. Did you find your bike helmet? Your last sentence is the best. "But I'm glad I did it." Isn't that how it always is?

Roxanne said...

Okay, you are pretty dang fast as far as I am concerned. I know it is frustrating though when you want to be faster. Have you always been near this pace or have you gotten faster over time? I often wonder if it is possible for me to get faster...you know that runners rut. I will have tons of questions once I start up again after the baby.

Ang said...

I was TOTALLY in Pullman today!! I was driving through on my way home from Idaho! I wish I would have known you were racing, maybe I could have cheered you on!! So sorry the race stunk! I think it sounds like you did pretty well considering the circumstances. And I will vouch that it was a scorcher today!! You'll have a better race next time. :)

cherl said...

I'm impressed with your finish time, esp. with all the challenges along the way. And the heat wave you all are experiencing up there in the Northwest wasn't fair. So sorry to hear it wasn't what you were hoping for, but congratulations anyway!

I think it's far worse to be one of two than one of a hundred. Even one of ten would be better... There's too much pressure when it's just you up against one other competitor. Is there another qualifying race you can do before now and September?

Suzie Petunia said...

"...but I'm still glad I did it."

That's what I love about you, foxy! That sounds like it was a tough course on a hot day. I'm proud of you!

Lindsay S said...

That is such great time!! I admire that you can run that fast ( I am such a slowby) Congrats!! I loved reading about your race :)

Tifferbob said...

Did you get your helmet back?

Sounds like a challenging time but worth it.