Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Speedwork Tips, Anyone??

I think I'm finally recovered from the marathon. My little nagging injuries have decided not to turn into big ones (that month off was a good idea!) and now I'm training for a 10k. M&M is doing it too, and I'm so excited to meet her. I guess I should register, huh? Since the 10k distance is more about speed than endurance, I'm starting to do some speedwork. I did some in the marathon training, but then I got too tired. Right now I'm doing 4-6 400m and 800m repeats on the local track near my house once a week. I'm also doing some hill work on my treadmill on my cross-training walking days, and one tempo run a week. So, if my takin' it nice and comfortable pace is around a 9 minute mile, and my tempo run pace is about 8:15 - 8:30 minute miles, how fast should my speedwork be? Does it matter if you jog or walk in between sprints? If I walk I recover more quickly. I'm doing 400m in 1:50 right now. I have no idea if that's good or bad, so don't laugh at me! : ) Any hints, advice, or wisdom appreciated. I'm hoping to get my overall pace down to 8:30 by early next spring, when I'll train for a half marathon. Then the plan is to get into St. George and finish under 4 hours. That's the plan. : )

Amy

3 comments:

Shelah said...

Amy-- I really like the FIRST program for improving speed. Here's a link to their 10K training: http://www.furman.edu/first/10K%20Training%20Program.pdf. I did their marathon training program when I ran Country Music in April, and I improved my time by 28 minutes over my first marathon. I'm using it for St. George and hoping to improve my time again. I don't have a lot of familiarity with the 10K training, but the speedwork for the marathon is hard! It helped a ton. I usually run 4 days a week-- one day is a speedwork day, one is a hill run (on my treadmill since I live where it's really flat), one is a tempo run, and one a long run. Then I do two days of cross training so I don't get burned out.

Molly said...

You might want to check out mcmillanrunning.com. You can look at how your running a 400 at 1:50 translates into a 10k etc. It's kinda cool. Keep up the good work. I think speed work is a very individual thing. If it feels like a pace that's pushing you but not completely exhausting you then you're going the right speed. You'll find yourself getting faster and faster before you know it.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hi Amy,

I am glad you are training for the 10K. I think you will love it! Your speedwork plans sound great. The key to those repeats is that if you are slowing down too much by the last one or if you are needing longer recovery time in between, then you are running them too fast. Otherwise, you are doing it just right! I will be following Hal Higdon's advanced 10k training plan starting August 4th. Keep us posted on your progress! I can't wait to meet up with you. It will be fun!