Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Question

Ok so I haven't posted in a while, but have still been reading all your wonderful advice and encouragment. I have less than 2 months to go for my first marathon. I am a little concerned about my running though and need your words of wisdom. I was really sick the last two Sat. that I tried to do my long runs and wasnt able to do them (very discouraging) so now I have to push my training to a 18 mile run this Sat, then 10, 21, 23, then the two week smaller runs to rest for the marathon. My question is if I should up my runs during the week to help my endurance get up there. I have been doing the Jeff Galloway walk/run program and I run 3 days a week (other than my long run) for 35 min. I am wondering if I should up those weekday runs and run longer since I feel like I am a little unprepared still (I'm up to 15 miles and it was slow when I ran it) I just am getting really nervous that my body wont be prepared enough and I want to do all I can to be ready for the race. Thanks for the advice in advance.

6 comments:

amydear said...

My first piece of advice would be to cut out the 21 or 23 mile runs. Just do 18, 19, and 20. I don't know many first-time marathon training programs that have people going over the 20 mile mark. That seems a bit intense. Of course, if you're out there and going strong, you could always do an extra mile. But since 15 was a little tough, and you had to skip two weeks, I'd say don't push it. You have some good weeks left, though, so don't be discouraged! You're asking your body to do a lot, and I'm sure it will comply. Good luck!

Stephanie@Soggy Runner Girl said...

I would say that you do not need to do anything over 20 miles. I would maybe up your weekday runs to 45 minutes. You need to listen to your body if you need more rest you may want to take it so you can be strong on your long runs. I would evaluate what your goals are for the marathon. You want to be able to enjoy it!

Tall Girl Running said...

I agree with the previous comments. Galloway endorses doing long runs up to the actual marathon distance in training, but the majority of plans out there peak at just 20 miles. At that distance, your body has the conditioning it needs to complete the marathon without too much risk of injury or overtraining. I'd suggest doing a 16, 18 and 20-miler, then tapering for three weeks if possible.

Although Galloway's approach with 20+ mile long runs doesn't work well for me, his run/walk strategy does. My fastest marathon was my very first, in which I walked one minute every 1/2 mile. There's just no denying it conserved the energy I needed to finish strong at the end.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Alicia said...

I think we are both on track for the St. George Marathon. Here are my long sat. runs starting this Sat.:12 mi. (doing the Hobble Creek 1/2), 18, 14, 20, 12, 8 and then the marathon. My week running schedule increases all the way up to the 20 mile run then tapers off for the marathon. I am a rookie at this whole thing, but I think I would increase your mileage during the week to longer runs (I am running a little over an hour on Wednesdays) and forget the long runs over 20 miles. Good luck! I am getting nervous for this marathon as it is my first too!

mylittlegems said...

I have done 7 marathons and my best was when I did the run/walk thing you are doing and cut out some of the long runs. I usually ended my long runs 3-4 weeks before the marathon and that was the best for me. Sometimes my long run was only 15-18 miles and it was enough to do well at the marathon. Listen to your body. Do some mental exercises- they really help. It think often we overtrain and that isn't good either. good luck! (I was doing St. George but am not ready - so now I'm not doing it-boo hoo)

Suzie Petunia said...

If you are feeling good after your normal 35 minute runs, I would definitely add a few more minutes. It certainly wouldn't hurt, and it would boost your confidence.