Sunday, October 19, 2008

North Florida Race for the Cure





Saturday morning was the North Florida Race for the Cure. It was great, perfect weather, a great cause and people standing all along the 5K race route just to cheer you along and shout nice things about beating breast cancer. As anybody who's ever done the Race for the Cure knows, it's pretty slow going. They announce that unless you have a timing chip, to please start in the back of the pack, but people don't listen. So at 8am the gun goes off and...everybody in front of me is walking. So it took me over 2 minutes to even cross the start and then at least another 3 to dodge all the walkers. I know, I know, the point of this race is not your time or to set a PR. I know all this. Not an excellent 5K time, certainly not a PR, I finished in 30:39.
Today, Sunday, I ran my first half marathon, it was the Nike+ Womens Half. And today, unlike yesterday, it was a cold morning. I am talking like 58 degrees (cold for Florida) and I was COLD. Started the run with gloves and a jacket on. 4 miles into it those gloves were off and the jacket was around my waist, but while running in the shade I was cold. I barely broke a sweat the whole time. It felt so good to know that I was running further than my legs had ever run before. My legs got so tired but I just kept on and I am so glad I did. The goal in the back of my mind was to do it in 2.5 hours. My "secret" goal was to do it in 2 hrs 20 mins. My actual finish time was 2 hours 18 minutes and 5 seconds. I am so pleased and proud of myself. After Owen napped we went and did a litttle family shopping trip (always fun). And after that it got even better. Chris took me out for an awesome seafood dinner. I had fresh crabcakes with green beans, a brown rice with blackened shrimp and 2 draft beers! Awesome awesome day!!

Just a few pictures from Saturday (I am the one on the right).

6 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

Congrats on beating your "secret" goal time. Its funny, you are not the only person I know who has "secret goal times". :) And I'm laughing that you think running in 58 degree weather is cold! Where I'm from we call that PERFECT running weather! I guess we can't all live in beautiful, warm climates. It sounds like you had a couple of great races!

Marcy said...

CONGRATS on finishing your 1st HM and doing it under your secret goal! AWESOME ;D ;D

On a sidenote, I think I need that 26.2 miles of peace and quiet shirt HAHAHAA

M*J*C said...

Great job on beating your "secret goal"!!!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, your "excitement" is totally appreciated and welcome!!

renae said...

Congratulations on your 'secret' goal! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who sets those secrets!

Molly said...

Good job on the race. The first thing I noticed though was how tan you guys are!!! You must get a little more sunshine than we do in the Northwest.

amydear said...

Yeah for beating your secret goal! I'm just like that. : ) I always love to read race reports, so thanks for posting yours.