Friday, February 20, 2009

Worst _ Race Photo _ EVER

I just got this in the mail from the fun run I did with my family last Thanksgiving. Its called The Give 'N Gobble and it raises money and food for the local food bank. I love supporting this run, and we had a terrific time doing it together as a family. But I just couldn't help but laugh at this photo.
I want to believe I was looking for my daughter or friend and not scoping out the "competition" coming from behind. I have to remind myself to not be competitive during these true "FUN" runs. I'm such a dork. I mean seriously.

This was the other photo they sent. I LOVE this one! Isn't my daughter adorable? And athletic? And wonderful in every way? Can't you just tell all that from the photo? Look at that kick! :)
As a little side note... I was just interviewed by Sarah Bowen-Shea who is writing a piece for the New York Times about kids and triathlons. I got to tell her all about the awesome experience we had last fall as a family while participating in the family triathlon that Kelly put together with our local YMCA. I can't wait to share it with you when it comes out! I'll let you know when I see it.

And as long as I'm posting... (It has been a while) ... I am just getting over a bout of pneumonia and getting back to running after a two week break. What a rotten experience that little sickness was! I found myself in the ER one night with a fever of 106.1. I felt as if I was on death's door. Have any of you ever had to recover from it and get back into a training program? I'm a bit nervous about what my lungs will tell me tomorrow on my first run back. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Run Mommy said...

Great pictures! I love that your daughter runs too - My boy and girl are 6 and 4 and I can't wait for them to run too. :)

Polliwog said...

I just got over Strep, which knocked me out of running for a week. Admittedly, not as bad as pneumonia for running, but it was pretty nasty--105 fever, chills, in bed 2 days, wiped out for 2 more. I was weak coming back, but not as bad as I thought. I was careful to feel 100% before running again, though. Yours will be worse, I'm sure. Good luck!

And the photos are great. With your post title, I was expecting MUCH worse. ;) I hope my daughters will run with me one day. That's inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog and this post made me laugh out loud!! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you recover quickly! I'm proud of you for taking some time off to heal properly. As a mom of three boys, I know how invaluable running can be and it is so challenging to keep up with life when we aren't at 100%.

Hugs!
~Cindy

P.S. As the director for the Give n' Gobble I am just thrilled that you enjoyed the event!

Frannie said...

That picture is hilarious!

Sorry to hear you were ill, but glad to hear you're getting back out there.

My kids are 3 and 4, and ask to run, but obviously are too little. I can't wait to do something like a fun run with them when they are your daughter's age.

Can't wait to read the Times article!

Russell Family said...

That first photo made me laugh out load, then some more when I read your explanation. :)

I LOVE the one with your daughter, how fun!

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is gorgeous. My 9 year old has just done her first 5km fun run, in 38.09, and she's so proud. I have a new running buddy!!