Saturday, March 28, 2009

I Have Redeemed Myself!!

You may remember I posted a couple of days ago about my disappointing half-marathon in Moab last weekend. It was just not my day. I was hoping for under 1:55, and I ended up with a 2:05. (If you didn't read it, you can scroll down a few posts, and check it out).

Well, Thursday I decided to run the Riverton half-marathon which was today. I needed a 17-miler for my marathon training (Newport, Oregon in May), so a friend and I ran from his house to the start to get an extra 4 miles in. I wasn't sure if I could really race the half after doing a race last weekend, but I decided to just see how I felt. I started out easy with about a 9-minute pace. I felt great, so I decided to pick it up. The temperature was great- around 40 degrees. We did have to run against a pretty strong wind for about the first half, but it didn't slow me down too much. The second half was great, and I finished strong. I ended up with a 1:55! I was so happy that I was able to pull that off- especially since I had run an extra 4 miles on top of it. This was the first time this race has been done in Riverton, and I loved the course. It was awesome. I plan on running it every year. Because it was the first time they've done it, it was pretty small. I think there were about 200 runners total (or less). I ended up being 21st overall, and 9th in my age group.

After my melt-down last week, I was thrilled to have a chance to redeem myself!

6 comments:

Robyn said...

Good for you! That must have felt great. I wish I had known about that race! I had to do 10 today and it would have been perfect.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Woo hoo!!!! It is so rare to be given a "do-over" for a longer race, so I am glad you got your chance. That is definitely how I felt after Salt Lake last year and then being able to run Newport a few weeks later to redeem myself. It sounds like you were on fire!!! You hit your goal a week after another race, incredible! I have to say there is something about racing in your own backyard. That is is the reason I am sticking with Newport this year. (No offense to Salt Lake, and don't worry, you will definitely be at the advantage coming DOWN from elevation!)
Again, I am so, so happy for you!!

amydear said...

What a difference a week makes, huh? Congrats to you! I'm glad you made your goal.

Mel- Tall Mom on the Run said...

AMAZING!! That is really cool, especially with the added mileage at the start.

Nikkei said...

Congrats! Maybe that first 4 miles worked as a great warm-up run. My first 4-5 miles of a run are usually the slowest. I guess by then my body realizes that I'm not going to stop anytime soon, so it decides to cooperate.

Mrs JP Chaos said...

WOW...look at you go!! I'm super impressed...congrats, Lady!!!