Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sarai's SLC 1/2 Marathon Report


I don't even know where to start. I am so happy with performance! The best part for me about completing a race is the feeling of accomplishment after crossing the finish line. Definitely my favorite part, it makes all the training worth it, despite the early wakings, running under not very pleasant weather conditions at times- snow, ice, rain, 25 F weather, you get the idea. Here's how my race went, starting with tapering week, I know reading about all of your training and other tips has helped me, so hopefully this will benefit someone out there:

The training schedule I followed recommended three short runs during tapering week, leaving only 2 days of rest, I took three days of rest instead. I also had lots of protein on the 6, 5 and 4 days before the race and then carb up on days 3, 2, and 1 before the race along with making sure to drink lots of water. I wasn't sure if buying any GU or gels would be a good idea, since I never tried them during my training runs, but came across them on the day I went to pick up my package and decided to buy some. I told the sales guys that I had never taken any and asked him if he still recommended me I used them during the race and he said that I should be fine if I made sure to wash them down with enough water to make sure it would not upset my stomach. He also recommended GU CHUMPS, they are gummies instead of the gel if I wasn't used to the gels. They taste great, just like candy and I could definitely feel them working their magic on me, good stuff. I also tried to be in bed by at least 10PM during that last week of tapering and was really glad I did, because on Friday night, the night before the race I could not sleep, I'm actually not really sure I slept at all. Another thing I did the day before the race, was taking a drive of the race route to get familiar with it and know what I was heading into. I was surprise to find out that I already knew, even had ran about 60% of the route during my training runs without even knowing it. I think that in someway that had to have work to my advantage.
Being my first 1/2 marathon I was going into it with the mentality of making this a learning experience to practically come back and redeem myself during a second 1/2 sometime later in the year, still I would give it my best and see how it would turn out. I tried to stay positive from the start, saying thank you to the police officers, smiling along the way and telling other I passed what a good job they were doing. I learned that doing that probably helped me more than it did them. I felt great from the start up, didn't even use my ipod until about mile 6, I just wanted to soak up the energy and take in my surroundings, and I felt my ipod would get in the way of doing that. Then mile 8 came around and the surface started to get really flat, just before Liberty Park, which also happens to be in my neighborhood, so some of that monotony came back to me and I started to struggle. Then... there they were, my two little angels waiting along the sidelines to cheer their mommy on, smiling and squealing excited to see me. Isn't that best feeling? I just had to run to them and kiss and hug them, then continued running with a renewed boost of energy. I love that feeling! From them on, I knew I had to start kicking the pace up a little bit, I had a goal I wanted to make and it was time to get serious.- I have yet a short running career and not much experience, but one of the things I have learned so far, is that the more you do it, the more you become acquainted with yourself and what you can do. One of my first 10K last year was just brutal, when I thought that starting off strong would guarantee me a better time, how wrong was I! I ran out of gas soon and still had a long way before me, which turned out to be pure torture. Since then I have learned to pace myself and have a plan.-I chugged down some more CHUMPS and with the energy boost from seeing my little girls I was feeling good again. The surface continued to be flat so it was time to change gears to short strides and just concentrating on keeping my pace up. I remember singing in my head "Just keep moving, just keep moving, moving moving" Ha! Then as I turned onto State Street, I could see the road ahead and how the crowd in front of me was already going up hill, eek! I looked at my watch and started to get a little negative, thinking I was not going to make my goal time. Then that little voice inside me reminded me to stay positive. I had ran on that street before, all the way to the Capitol even, so I was not going to be intimidated by it now! It felt so good to get to South Temple, that down hill was great and I knew I was just about done, just a little more. I looked at my watch and I still thought I would not make my goal time and again, something inside of me just kicked in, you all know the feeling. I was cruising right as I turned the corner to go into the gateway mall, I also had ran that stretch before, during the race for the cure 5K, last may, but this time it felt even better. Don't you just love sprinting off at the end? If you saw, or heard a weird one talking to herself as she got closer to the finish line, that was me. Hey, sometimes you just have to psyche yourself up, even out loud if it does the trick! So I am happy to report that I too did better than planned or expected coming in at 1:58:24. YAY! My goal was 2:00 hrs, afraid I was too enthusiastic and a little unrealistic, but I did it! And I'm coming back for more, Provo river sounds good. But before that Ragnar Wasatchback here I come!

Congratulations to all of you amazing mommies who ran the SLC marathon and 1/2 as well, you guys are inspirational! I love reading about your different experiences and how strong you all can be, it makes me feel that it too is possible for me. Thanks!

9 comments:

Mrs. Spencer said...

Thanks for your report! You did great! I also learned that it helps to distract you by trying to tell all of the police officers and volunteers thank you as your running and just soaking up the atmosphere! I will be running the Wasatch Back too! It is a blast :)
Congratulations!!!

Kelly(M&M) said...

I really enjoyed reading your report. I felt as if I was there. Great job on making your goal!! Enjoy your accomplishment!

Kim said...

Congratulations! You did great! I was there as well- wasn't it a beautiful day? I'll be at wasatch back also! Happy running!

Mel said...

Sarai- I loved reading your race report! You did great. It's true.. so much of running is mental. I can't wait to meet you at Wasatch Back!

Latter-day Runner said...

Congrats on a great time for your first 1/2 marathon! I hope that there will be many more ahead of you.

Laura said...

You've inspired me to try GU Chumps. Good job! Sub two hours is awesome! I'm running Provo River too. Maybe I'll see you this time!

Anniebananie said...

So fun to hear all about your race! Loved hearing your story! YEAH! You did great! Congrats!

amydear said...

Wow! Great job. It's always fun to do better than you expected. That doesn't happen to me very often. : ) See you at Wasatch Back.

Robin said...

Congratulations on a fantastic result for your first 1/2 marathon. I was googling training programs and came across your blog. I'm running my first 1/2 this Sunday (May 3), so I'm inspired :)