Friday, February 25, 2011

raising awareness

Curious what your thoughts are on these runners who cover incredible distances to bring awareness to the cause(s) they support? It clearly does double duty raising awareness for both the cause and for running as a sport. I read in an article this morning that 50% of San Diego County residents are obese. That's alarming! I hope these stories encourage non-runners to seek some form of exercise of their own.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=134054117

2 comments:

Kim said...

I just came across this blog today, I can't wait to read some older posts! I am a huge supporter of running for causes - it's what got me turned on to endurance races! I ran my first marathon ever as a member of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. It was an incredibly rewarding experience and I got to meet many families that have directly benefited from funds raised by TNT members. I never ran "for fun" before TNT and it changed my life for the better.

as Sweet as Honey O! said...

I love running...but running for a cause keeps me motivated...especially after I've spent my money on the registration fee. I am training for my first 1/2 marathon in June. Excited!!