Monday, April 11, 2011

Running with Kara and Shalane, well sort of...

imgres.jpeg

imgres.jpg

So this past Saturday I decided to do a 12 mile tempo run. I could not think of a good route so I decided that I would run to the Nike Campus and do some 400 repeats to break it up a little. The run was going great and I was happy with my pace. As I approached the track on campus I noticed an very fit woman warming up and then I realized that it was Kara Goucher. This is the 2nd time I have seen her but the first I time I was so star struck all I could do was smile with huge eyes I am sure. This time I was more nerdy but I had to talk to her. As I went by her I said, "I am routing for you at Boston." She got a smile on her face and said thank you. As I did my repeats with some of the other male elite runners blazing past me, I looked down at my Garmin to see my pace. It said 6:09!!! Nothing like some Olympians to motivate you to speed up!!!

Then my luck continued today as I again went to the Nike Campus for a little speed work and saw Shalane Flanagan with her coach and some other elite men. I did not have the courage to talk to her but I did smile and say Hi. Yes I am a big running nerd, I know.

So wish that I was running Boston again this year! You better believe that I will watch all of coverage I can find and I will be routing for Kara!

2 comments:

amydear said...

Ooh, lucky you! I often see fast, fit runners here in Eugene, but I don't know who they are. I'm rooting for Kara in Boston too!

cherl said...

Love Kara and Shalane! How awesome to see them and to talk to Kara. I'll be rooting for them Monday morning, too!