Wednesday, September 14, 2011

setting an example

There's no question that by exercising and talking to our children about healthy living we are setting an example for them to follow.  Through our activities, they are learning the importance of keeping our bodies and minds healthy on the outside as well as the inside.  Did your parents exercise?  Did they eat healthy?  How did your parents instill the importance of a healthy mind and body with you?

My dad passed away when we were very young so it was my mother who led by example.  She wasn't and still isn't athletic, but she could walk for hours.  During the wee hours of the morning she and two other women from our street would meet and walk.  They would walk for about an hour all over our town.  I understood even then that this was an important time for her.  In the home, my mom would often lay on the floor while we watched television.  She would stretch and do various exercises.  I didn't know that's what she was doing, but looking back it was very clear that she was doing that.  She also owned one of these door knob exercisers (pictured above).  I remember my brothers and I trying to figure it out but ending up all tangled instead.  And, of course, there were many aerobic classes throughout the years for my mom, too...

As for healthy eating, we ate our share of junk foods and junk dinners as teenagers.  But as a young child I remember balanced meals that included vegetables and fruit.  It seems that those often came out of a can, but she made great attempts at giving us well-rounded diets.
Today, my mom is an active and vibrant 60 year old.  This last weekend she walked a 10K in Portland.  Every year she walks a few of these local races and she recently joined her company's gym again.  During the summer months she walks outside during her lunch break, but with the winter months ahead she's already planning her noon time walks indoors. 

2 comments:

Caolan MacMahon said...

Couldn't agree more! When I run, I feel I'm setting an example not just for my own daughter but for all the kids (and adults) out there.
http://www.chronicrunner.com/2011/09/reflections-on-running-and-motherhood.html

DukanDiet said...

When i run i feel great! My body my mind are so refreshed! And the example for the children is very important of course!