Thursday, February 23, 2012

plagued with injuries

Sigh. 

Months ago (last summer?) I registered my husband and myself for the LA Marathon.  My husband then developed some sort of respiratory issue that the oncologist, cardiologist, pulmonologist, and many others still haven't figured out.  His next appointment is in two weeks.  We think it's directly related to stress.  He has a difficult time taking a full breath and often feels short of breath.  If he's feeling particularly stressed, it's much worse.  Very scary stuff so he knew several months ago that he would be unable to run LA. 

About six weeks ago a local friend that I run with every Saturday said she'd do it with me.  I gave her a great deal on the entry and told her I'd drive (we're two hours away) and pay for the hotel.  She's recently started to complain about soreness in her big toe so yesterday she saw a podiatrist.  She has a broken bone inside her toe; he advised 4 to 6 weeks of no running. 

Ack!

Sure, I've run many races by myself.  Aren't they often done by yourself even if you are with a friend anyway?  Last spring I drove 90 minutes in the wee hours of the morning to run a marathon by myself.  Although it wasn't local, the race was in Newport Beach (CA) so it's pretty safe there.

But a hotel in downtown Los Angeles?  I've booked the host hotel so I know there will be a lot of runners and we're shuttled to the start and then back to the hotel after the race... but I still don't like the idea of going by myself. 

I've got a couple of friends in mind who I think could jump in and be ready at this point.  Remember, it's three weeks away at this point.  But if they can't, I don't know what to do. 

What would you do?

3 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hey Cherl,

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he gets better soon. I wish I could jump in with you! (I couldn't run the race, but I would cheer you on! The race itself you know you will be fine, but I would try to find a friend just to stay with you in the hotel! :-) Can Mike and the kids go with you for the night?

The Green Girl said...

If you'd like a friendly group to hang out with, I'm doing the race along with a bunch of other Sole Runners.

I'm going to also run with some Angel Runners who are raising money for Angelman Syndrome (the genetic disorder my niece has).

If you'd like, feel free to email me at mary at therunninggreengirl dot com.

cherl said...

Thanks! I'm working on getting some friends to join me, but will send you (the Green Girl) an e-mail soon. :)