Friday, April 11, 2008

"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired." - Jules Renard


Hey there Marathon Moms! I am so excited to be a part of this blog. It has been really inspiring--thanks Hannah for referring me to it. I have felt like a real loner in my running because I have done it by myself--but it has also been a very personal thing for me that I continue to challenge and push myself beyond where I ever thought I could go.


I remember my first experience with marathons. I went to St. George when I was about 14 with a friend because her two older sisters were running the marathon. I thought that they were nuts. I could not believe anyone would want to run for 4+ hours...let alone 26.2 miles. I was the typically lazy teenager and anything that was hard or took effort was beyond me. Ever since I had my son, I have tried to lose weight and was successful but never could keep it off. When I quit my job and went back to school I committed myself to running. After having a miscarriage last summer though...I really decided it was time to get healthy and finally get rid of extra weight. I ran everyday (except sunday) and got rid of all refined sugars in my diet. I lost 35 pounds. Now, I am so proud of what I have accomplished. I am more fit and in shape now than I have been my entire life. I just regret not starting this sooner...I hope that I can be a good example to my daughter--to not waste time and continue to challenge yourself physically.

So, I am running the SL 1/2 marathon--this will be my first ever. I hope to run a marathon in the future.


Suzie told me to include other interests...but honestly besides running and getting my master's degree I have little time for anything else. I love my family--I have a 7 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. They are so much fun to be around and they help me to desire to be a better person. I am getting my masters in Psychology and School Counseling. I still have two years left...because we only take 2 classes a semester. I cannot wait to be done and work with teenagers again...I love it. I also enjoy blogging...although my blog could use some help.
Good luck to all you who are running! I hope that I can meet you all someday.

7 comments:

Anniebananie said...

Welcome!!!! Can't wait to see you at the SLC 1/2. I am hoping to bump into a lot of you, not sure how it all works, while you are running different runs and what not. I am so excited for you! My 1st 1/2 was a great happy moment for me. I am hoping that is how the full will be as well! Good luck to all of us doing a first timer or 2nd or 10th or Boston?!? Just feel the support oozing from me to you! Keep Moving Forward!

Kelly(M&M) said...

Congrats on all you have accomplished! You should be very proud. I get so emotional when I hear all of these stories and I love it! Welcome and I look forward to hearing more from you. I also loved the quote!

Annie- Can't wait to hear how your first full marathon goes! I love that we all identify with each other.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you checked this site out and jumped right on board! Good luck on the 1/2!!!

Roxanne said...

Gad to have you! It is so fun to see all these new post going up. I love hearing your story and hope to meet you in Salt Lake. Good luck and have fun.

Charity said...

Nice to have you! I wish I was going to be in SLC to meet everyone, maybe next year wherever everyone decides to meet up....

Good luck in the next week everyone!

Charity said...

Nice to have you! I wish I was going to be in SLC to meet everyone, maybe next year wherever everyone decides to meet up....

Good luck in the next week everyone!

Jessica said...

I wish I could be in SL too! But good luck to everyone!