Friday, November 21, 2008

Just When The Going Gets Good

So I have been running an average of about 20 to 30 miles a week for the past 6 months or so. When I ran my first half marathon in June my goal was to finish and finish alive. The farthest I had run at the start of that race was 10 miles. When I hit the 10 mile mark during the half I also hit a major wall. I made it though and finished with a time of 2:07.53. My second half was in Sep and I was excited, I had after all done this before. My goal was to beat my previous time. I had a great run and finished in 2:03.12. I did it! I beat my goal! After that I dabbled in a few other things to include my first triathlon. Then I decided to actually train for the Seattle Half coming up here Nov. 30.

I started Hal’s Intermediate Half Marathon training plan and was determined to beat my last time of 2:03.12, despite the difficulty of this course. It seemed like the training plan was working! I had my mile times down from about 9:15 miles to 8:15 for longer runs and even faster for the shorter runs. With two weeks to race day I injured my neck, who knows how, running or lifting. Either way it has been literally a pain in the neck. I have not run for 8 days now. I am so discouraged because I was actually following a training plan and doing so well. Now I fear I have lost it all. I am supposed to do 3 miles at race pace tomorrow and 12 miles on Sunday. I am not sure if I will be able to. I am going to give the 3 miles a try and hope that I don’t aggravate my neck. But I have settled for a lesser goal for my Nov. 30 half…to finish and finish alive. That goal as served me well in the past.

Has anyone had this experience where they had a significant break in training before running a race and what was the outcome?

3 comments:

Run Mommy said...

Hey - I feel your pain. I am training for my first full marathon and had plantar faciitis. I did not run for nearly three full weeks and then took another week of easing back into it. Now with only 7 weeks until race day - I am VERY nervous. However, I just adjusted my goal time a little and accepted that it is what is. It sucks but there will be other races and other events. The body is amazing in that a little down time might do the body more good than you realize. Good luck and be sur eto up update on the outcome!

Robyn said...

So sorry to hear about your neck injury. Yes, I had a similar experience. I trained all year for my first marathon in September. 2 weeks before the marathon I got IT band syndrome in a serious way. I couldn't even run a few miles, nevermind 26. It was SO frustrating after all the hard work I'd put in, especially since I was very conservative and careful not to overtrain. For the next 2 weeks, I didn't run at all, I iced it, rested, visited the PT (and spent a fortune) and I made it through the marathon in 5 hours! My time wasn't nearly what I wanted, but I finished- and let me tell you, I felt like a champion that day. I know I'll have another chance to do it again, but for now, I'm focusing on the little things.

I have been hesitant to post about my experience for some reason, but now I see it might help someone....

Leilani said...

Thanks for posting. I have a bulging disk in my back that rears its ugly head anytime I run more than 8 miles. The result is a shooting pain down my left leg, inability to sit for extended periods of time and general discomfort. I was so excited about my training plan for the half I'm running in January and I haven't been able to run for 4 days due to my owies. It stinks.