Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Seasonal Funk!

In Hood River, OR we have had an inversion going on. It is beautiful and sunny in Portland, on Mt Hood, and south of the mountain, but here, it has been cloudy and so cold. I have been plugging thru all of this rain and snow and the muck that comes after the snow, but this grey is KILLING me! I am still running in the dark. The only time my partner and I can go is before our husbands go to work. So we start and, right now, finish in the dark. Oh and did I mention that it is really cold? Needless to say that our long runs have been so painful. So much so that I know that if I weren't meeting her there is NO WAY I would get out of bed and go. I am pretty sure that I have a little bit of seasonal depression and I just went out and got a Vit. D supplement. I am hoping that it will help some. Does anyone else have this problem and what are you doing about it? I would love some insight. Thanks my fellow moms and runners!

6 comments:

Keekee said...

Hi, oh how I can relate. I live in WI and have run at 5am before my husband leaves for work. I am training for Boston this April and with over 40inches of snow we had in Dec/Jan it has been no picnic. It also seems hard on the body- I have been running in 5 degrees and lower temps and it stiffens my joints. I have not taken any vitamin D yet but have invested in some really warm clothes. Check out this site - the BEST cold weather running socks EVER!!! http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/SRU007/Seirus_Stormsock_Waterproof_Sock

I just keep trying to think that in only a few months my runs will transform from pure darkness to watching an amazing sunrise. You can do it. Not much longer :) I just cant wait to run when it is at least 20 degrees :)

Happy running.

Unknown said...

5 degrees? Holy Cow that IS freezing. Thanks for the cold running clothes tip. I have been looking but haven't bought yet. I appreciate the pep talk! I'll let you know about the Vit D thing. I am just starting today.

Frannie said...

I admire you for doing it! Like you, I need to run before my husband leaves for work, but I do it on the treadmill when it's cold and dark. I just cannot seem to get it together to do it outside! So, I think you rock!!!

amydear said...

That totally stinks. I hope it lightens up soon. My friend in Michigan had a "Happy Light" (that's the name brand) that helps with SAD (seasonal affective disorder). I used it a few times when I was on her elliptical. It really did work! I'm a wimp and only doing one early morning a week outside right now. I'll have to rev it up next week when marathon training starts. Are you doing Newport?

Unknown said...

I have not committed to Newport as of yet. . .I know that I want to do at least on marathon this year so I need to figure it out soon. Thanks for the info on the happy light.

Jen said...

We have an inversion in SLC right now and I am DYING!!!! I have been terrible about running this week. The sky is gray, the air is terrible, and it's freezing. I've been taking a Vit B supplement, hoping that would give me some more energy. I'm hoping for a storm soon to push all this gunk outta here!