Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Is anyone here Vegan?

Starting January 1st, I've adopted a vegan diet. My family (husband and two young children) remain omnivores but I have been a vegetarian for 18 months and knew I'd eventually eliminate all animal products from my diet. I attempted the diet change twice last year, unsuccessfully. The longest I made it was noon on the first day. But something has changed in me and this time it's been easy -- surprisingly easy, actually. Of course, I haven't been faced with PMS symptoms or road trip food or eating out so it's still very early. However when I make up my mind to do something, I just do it. I honestly don't think I'll go back to where I was just one week ago. Today is Day 5 and things are going great. I felt a difference in my body on Day 3. Now I'm curious what others' experiences have been with high mileage running and a limited diet. Are you a vegan who also runs? What advice or tips do you have for me?

5 comments:

laurel said...

I am not a vegan, though I did do a vegan trial for about 6 months a few years ago (as well as a raw diet). However, as a flexitarian, and rare meat eater, I love No Meat Athlete. If you haven't ever read, I suggest that site. He has a lot of interviews with vegan athletes (Brendan Brazier for one).

Erin said...

I am not a vegan but check out this blog www.peasandthankyou.com. The mom who writes it as vegan and I believe a runner too. She has some great recipes!

cherl said...

Thank you for these tips! I follow the No Meat Athlete so I already knew how good that was, but hadn't seen the peasandthankyou blog. I LOVE it and LOVE her! And I'm making that zucchini quinoa lasagna tomorrow because that dish looks AMAZING. Thanks!

Stephanie said...

I'm not vegan. However, we decided to do a 30 day detox at the start of the year! It's been going well so far!

Erin said...

Glad you enjoy Peas and Thank You. She is a great writer! That's funny that you picked the zucchini quinoa lasagna because it is also the first recipe of hers that I picked to make. She has a cookbook coming out later this year and I just can't wait!!