Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ready to be a Runner Again

After living vicariously through many of you for a while, I am ready to be a runner again! Since St George of 2010 (where I was hoping to qualify for Boston, but it wasn't my time yet!), I have not really trained for a race. The reason for my break was good(hoping to get pregnant and have a baby), but now that dream is on hold for a few months, so it is time again.  Running and training is such a big part of who I am, that I feel like I lost a piece of me. I am ready to get that piece back. It was a beautiful day today (not always the case in January in Oregon!) so I took my son and his buddy on their bikes while I ran beside them. It was a slow, 3 1/2 mile run, and I was sucking wind quite a bit, but it felt right! As soon as I got home, I made plans for my next race! I will be running a 10K on March 3rd and I am still signed up for a Mother's Day all women's half marathon. Now, I need to get rid of some of this extra weight that casual running has not been able to keep off. :-)

Who is with me? What are your goals for this year? 

4 comments:

Latter-day Runner said...

My goal for this year is to run the Top of Utah Marathon in September. I wanted to run that for the past three years, and I've even registered twice. However, something has always interfered. In 2009 I had ITB trouble after a June marathon and gave up on training for the rest of the summer. In 2010 I didn't even register due to family stress and financial issues related to my husband's long term unemployment. In 2011 I got pregnant in August, and even though many women run marathons while pregnant, it wasn't something I felt capable of doing. My baby is due in April (my fifth), and after a few weeks of rest, I hope to begin training for the TOU and actually be able to run it this fall. My eventual goal is to qualify for Boston, like so many other mothers, but I think that is an unrealistic goal for me in 2012. Maybe in 2013!

cherl said...

I have two running pals who qualified for Boston 2013 at CIM last December. Knowing that the two of them will be there for their first KILLS me. I have to be there. I need to get my mental game together and pull off a great marathon time between now and September. It's not going to happen at LA in March, but maybe at Ojai (Calif.) in June...!?

Glad you are back, Kelly!!

Kelly(M&M) said...

Nikkei-Congrats on your pregnancy! I think the perfect way to get back after a baby is to have a marathon on the calendar. Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Cherl- You will get to Boston, I know you will! How awesome would it be for us to run Boston together after having pretty identical first marathons?! :-) I have a feeling you will qualify before me, so hopefully I will qualify soon after. I know you can do it!! I am glad to be back too.

JP said...

You & me both, girl. After the marathon in October, I haven't been able to get on a schedule. (My body took a while to get back in line.)

Another stab at that marathon to look forward to in October.

And a Ragnar relay or two.

Miss you. xoxo