Monday, January 21, 2008

Run into 2008...

Well, the truth is I still haven't really had a good run since my nightmare race on New Year's eve. I was going to post all about how horrible it was, but I will just say that it was in deed horrible, that I ended the race in tears and that I haven't started training yet. I have been going to the gym faithfully and doing the elliptical, bike and treadmill...but not a focused training run. I'm still in a runner's depression. That said, I think that I really need to go and see this film on Thursday. I'm sure it can help me get out of my rut. And my poor Christmas present (Garmin 305) is collecting dust. Is it common to get discouraged and avoid running all the while developing anxiety about an up coming race that you aren't training for? So I am officially putting my bad running experience under the rug, dusting off my running shoes, putting on a happy face and deciding to stop feeling sorry for myself.

So here is a little video clip that I made a few years ago. The footage isn't clear and it might even be hard to see, but it is of the Spudman. I thought that those of you who are doing the Spudman this year might like it. My friend Andy actually won his age category this year. He is an amazing athlete.

Anyway, enjoy this silly Spudman video.

I am going for a real run tonight. If I don't I owe you all $1000.00.

I swear. ~Shake hands! (Now hold me to it!)

8 comments:

Jen said...

What race did you do New Year's? Was it the Sugarhouse park run? I'm so sorry you had a bad experience! Nothing gets me out of a rut better than a new hot running outfit and some new tunes.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Erin,

Sorry your year started out rough. (running wise!) Just chalk it up to a bad run day. We all have or will have them at some point. Mine was actually my first marathon. At first I never wanted to run again. My husband was able to put it into perspective for me and I realized that the reason I run is for the every day health, enjoyment and accomplishment it brings me. Yes, I still have bad runs every once in a while. Luckily the good ones are much more often! (And I ran 3 more marathons after my first!) Good luck and keep us posted. You are awesome and an inspiration to us. The video was very fun to wathch. Thanks for that-now I wish I was participating in the Spudman!

sarah k. said...

I know exactly what you're talking about, and I think it's not uncommon. I ran the Provo River 1/2 marathon in August of 2005, and it was great, but the downhill sort of trashed my knees. I had foolishly signed up for the Hobblecreek 1/2 just two weeks later, and I didn't want to waste the entry fee by not showing, so I ran it anyway, and finished a full 20 minutes slower.

I had the hardest time wanting to run after that. I thought I might never want to run again. I think it took me about a month before I would even go out, and it was a struggle at first.

I think it's just our bodies telling us there's a season for everything, including taking a break from running. While I was pregnant and in tons of pain, I couldn't stop thinking about how badly I wanted to run again.

Good luck today!

Chelle said...

Erin, I think this month of the year is the toughest for running (well, life in general for that matter). Just cold and dreary and post holiday bleck. I can relate! Push through and you'll be back to craving a good long run before you know it.

p.s. loved the video!

foxontherun said...

I'm with Jen go buy a new hot running outfit. Stick with it. We all go through periods like you have described. That video brings back memories of last year running down that hill for the finish line. It's got me excited for this year. Thanks for posting it. So when will you do spudman?

Molly said...

Isn't it funny how our(well mine anyways) confidence as runners can be shattered by just one bad run or race? Never mind that we are running more in one race than most people ever run their whole lives. Sometimes we need to take some time off to learn that we are true runners. What matters is that you are staying active and healthy. You'll be hittin' the pavement and lovin it in no time. Now, go do the right thing...oh wait that's Dr. Laura. I couldn't resist.

JP said...

I've been feeling like such a slacker, loser...all those bad words you are never supposed to use on yourself. I have been so frustrated with being sick. Not to mention that throughout vacation it wasn't safe for me to go running; I've been out of the game for awhile. I'm finally on the mend and I can't even begin to describe how much I miss running. That is MY time...and it's so good for me.

It's taken me a lot of words to get to my point, but what I'm trying to say is that I've had those bad times running. But all I can think about is how much I miss it and how I can't wait to be back on track. You're awesome and you'll get to where you want to be when you're ready.

Good luck!

p.s. a new runnign outfit totally helps. I'm with ya'll on that one! :)

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hey Erin,

Just wondering what your update is. How did your run go?

We are here for you!

Kelly