Sunday, October 04, 2009

I want to know...

I want to hear from you....

  • What has been your post marathon experience? Highs? Lows?

  • How has training for and finishing a full marathon changed your life? your outlook?

  • What is your rest-recovery experience-process?

I am contemplating many things this first week after my marathon. Where to go from here, realizing that I can do more, be more, you know??? Frustration is setting in with my "forced" resting (just short 20 min jogs) and when I did get a bit longer run in i found myself shocked at how hard it was. I know, and have read not to be surprised at how "out of shape" you feel your first few runs back... but wow... kinda does a mental trick on ya doesn't it? I think its funny how I am wishing to have a 13, 15, 0r 20 miler on the plan really soon! Guess I am hooked. .. so weird.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Ruthie, I feel like I am going thru the same thing you are right now. I ran PDX 4 days ago. I have had a good week. Despite not doing as well as I would have liked, I feel great. I have a good friend who has run approx 100 marathons and is in his 70s. He has repeatedly told me this week not to worry about a "bad" race. We all have them. . .you just move on. It has really helped having support. That being said, my post race feelings are. . .wow, I accomplished. . .THAT! I ran THAT far. My daughter who is almost 4 was there at the finish with my husband and I am so glad that she can see her mom accomplish hard things. We accomplished something hard and it runs over into the other areas of my life. . .I can accomplish things that are hard and challenging and I am a better person for it.
Also, as far as recovery. I was able to do a 3 mile run yesterday and an hour road bike today and I feel pretty great, physically. I know I have posted about this before but having ART (active release therapy) has saved my body. If you haven't heard about it, it is worth reading up on. Anyway, I am not sure if that is what you were looking for. I have so enjoyed your posts and hearing your thoughts and experiences. Thanks for that!