I was trying to get excited about training for a half marathon, but my true love is the marathon. I know something is wrong with me, but I just crave distance! I look forward to the long runs, and even joined one of my friends for an 18 miler when I wasn't trained for it. I wouldn't suggest that, but I love the new scenery that a longer run brings. Sometimes, I just get tired of the same 5 mile loops. So, I decided to sign up for the Newport Marathon. I would love for others to join me. I have run it 3 times. It was my first marathon and later became my PR marathon. Here is what I love about it:
1. Spring marathon- I love that it keeps me training through the winter.
2. Weather- Very mild temperature- usually in the 50's
3. Elevation- It's at the beach- so zero elevation. All of you that are at higher elevation would feel much better running at the coast!
4. Course- At mile 5 it becomes an out and back along the bay, very pretty view. Fairly flat with one hill that you go over at mile 5 and mile 26.
5. It is one of the top Boston Qualifiers. (Someday for me!)
6. Small- 900 people
To be fair, I will list the drawbacks:
1. I would prefer a point to point.
2. Coming back feels slightly uphill, but I am not sure if this is just because I am tired.
3. Not much crowd support because it is hard to get to the course. Half of the road is closed off.
4. I have not loved my race shirts, but the last one was finally a tech shirt. :-)
So, if you are looking for a race, come join me on June 2nd. Oregon is beautiful!
It is filling up fast!
What other races are you ladies running? I would love to keep a running list on the side again! Good luck!