Tuesday, March 27, 2012

amazing mom wins the Oakland Marathon

You've had to have heard of Anna Bretan by now and her incredible win at the Oakland Marathon this past weekend.  Amazing!  Inspiring!  Unbelievable!  If you don't know who she is, start here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/25/BA2T1NQ259.DTL&tsp=1

My youngest will be five years old next month so it's been a while since I was post-partum, but seriously...!?  I know I wasn't running even a single mile six weeks after my daughter was born.  It was 4 weeks after my son's birth that I tried running.  It was extremely painful (like all my body parts down there were falling)  and I knew right away that my body was not ready.  I had to wait until about 6 weeks and even then it was something like 4 minutes of very slow running alternating with 1 minute of walking.  I'm absolutely stunned when I hear of women who run their entire pregnancy and then pull off marathon finishes like Anna's.  Incredible! 

1 comment:

Kelly(M&M) said...

That is amazing! I have never been able to run through a pregnancy, but I have been able to run shortly after. That being said, I was running 12 or 13 minute miles and walking when I needed to. :-)